Any thoughts on Olympus Stylus 1 vs FZ200?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Any thoughts on Olympus Stylus 1 vs FZ200?
6 months ago

I'm kind of expecting my FZ200 to die from overuse sometime this year, and I've been wondering what I would replace it with. A new FZ200 is the obvious choice... but could there be a better alternative?

The Olympus Stylus 1 recently caught my attention.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this, vs FZ200?

On paper, it ticks a lot of boxes for me:

Constant f2.8 max aperture.
12MP but bigger sensor (1/1.7"). Better IQ? Less noise at higher ISO?
It seems to have similar or even better speed of operation, AF etc.
Flash hotshoe (for red dot sight!)
Built-in 3-stop ND filter.
Respectable 7fps bursts (faster than FZ's 5.5fps, but slower than FZ's 12fps).
More compact than FZ200.
Hi res EVF, seems bigger than FZ200's and has eye sensor.
Control ring around lens.
Electronic level.
Spot focusing and metering.

It has touch screen and WiFi, but I have no use for those. Well, maybe if the touch screen lets me scroll around a zoomed-in preview?

It seems to have some interesting exposure compensation options - the "usual" compensation, but also separate highlight/shadow compensation? If so, I might find that extremely useful at airshows... where compensation is usually required to prevent black planes against perfectly exposed skies. But then you end up with blown-out skies. If it does indeed have separate highlight/shadow compensation, could I get well-exposed planes without blowing out the skies?! (And similarly for figure skaters against ice?).

However, Stylus 1 is "only" 28-300mm. That's half the reach of the FZ200, and less wide angle. 28-300mm is actually almost perfect for figure skating competitions, and would be mostly OK for my everyday photos. And it is designed for teleconverters via an FZ-style adapter tube... I might just be able to manage at airshows with a 1.7x teleconverter (510mm).

(I wonder if wide-angle on the Stylus 1 is restricted by the adapter tube, as with the FZ... I see no mention of such a thing in the manual...)

Stylus 1 is also expensive... rear screen tilts, but is not fully articulated... its video capabilities seem frankly, rubbish compared to FZ200... seems you can't fit a circular polariser (or any filter) without adapter tube... and bracketing seems limited to +/- 1ev which is a bit disappointing for HDR processing.

Still, I find it very tempting. It has many things I'd like to see in a new FZ...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow