Sold all Canon gear - want to switch to Nikon, need some suggestions please.Thanks

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,402Gear list
Like?
Re: Sold all Canon gear - want to switch to Nikon, need some suggestions please.Thanks
In reply to s_illes79, 9 months ago

s_illes79 wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

s_illes79 wrote:

First got the Sigma 17-70, but sent it back:

It's not good for landscapes, corners are horribly soft from 17-28 mm at any aperture.

For landscape the new 18-140 seems much better choice, at least for me ( need to correct distortion, but camera can do it ) or u could get the 16-85 for 2x price

Interesting my copy of the 17-70 is so sharp across the field, even at 17mm, I sold my 16-85. The 16-85 is simply an overpriced slow zoom.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Which version do u have? C or the older one? What I heard is the new one is soft at wide and sharp at telephoto, but old was oposite: sharp at wide but soft tele ( soft I mean off center )

New type and by f5.6 (reasonable landscape aperture) at 17mm it's sharp across the frame. F2.8 corners aren't great but at f4 it isn't bad. Lots of people seem to "have heard" the new one is soft at 17mm, mine isn't and photozone didn't think theirs was either.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/822-sigma1770284os?start=1

Now look at how the 16-85 performs wide open, f3.5 at 16mm, it's the same as the 17-70 at f2.8. You have to stop the 16-85 down to 5.6 to get decent corner performance too. Yet look how bad this lens performs on the long end plus the bokeh is simply nasty looking.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/635-nikkor16853556vr?start=1

This is a shot out in front of my house when this subject of this lens ve 16-85 came up. I wanted to shoot an identical scene so shot tow frames on a large tripod. The corners at 17mm sure aren't "horribly soft at any aperture"...

This other was shot with a 16-85 and IMHO the corners are soft on that overpriced lens. And has horrid CA, look at the back lit branches in the top of the frame. Add in almost useless at 85mm, is a stop slower, has ugly bokeh AND is 2X the price. Like I said, it's an overpriced slow zoom.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow