Which Compact is best For Low Light?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
DaveLemi
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Compact is best For Low Light?
In reply to DigiPainter, 8 months ago

DigiPainter wrote:

my point wasnt that mirrorless cameras cant produce dslr quality pics, my main point is they arent that small. for me id rather carry a d5100 than an nex, i would however obviously prefer to carry an rx100 if it had the same IQ and low light quality of the nex7 or d5100. thats what i meant by mirrorless being a no mans land. not outstanding at anything, size or IQ. i would however prefer an NEX over any other mirrorless systems. I looked at an OMD m5 in the shop yesterday, had a d5100 in one hand and the m5 in the other, i just dont get the point of the mirrorless, it didnt feel substantially smaller or lighter and costs more than the d5100.

so for me, the best scenario is an RX100 and a Nikon Dslr.

But for the OP i dont think there is an answer as no truly pocket able cameras with long zoom do well in low light. Maybe the rx10?

Mirrorless, specifically m43, cameras are much smaller when you compare to a DSLR using a fast lens with some reach. My son swims and I shoot pics for the team and understand how difficult the lighting can be. As others have stated, you need about 1/500s shutter speed which requires ISO of 1600-3200 and a f stop of around 2. A bridge camera or RX100 just can't get the job done in this situation. The smallest and least expensive solution is a m43 (G6 or newer pen) and the oly 45mm 1.8 lens. A larger obvious fix is a cheap nikon or canon DSLR with a fixed fast lens.

good luck!

DaveLemi's gear list:DaveLemi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow