GX7 -- falls naturally to hand and eye. Acute GAS attack!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,498Gear list
Like?
GX7 -- falls naturally to hand and eye. Acute GAS attack!
10 months ago

I handled the Panny GX7 at a dealer's store yesterday and was amazed at how naturally it fell to hand. I actually went in there to look at the 100-300 zoom; the salesman obligingly put the zoom on to a Panny camera, and it just happened that the GX7 was the one which had a charged battery in it.

So there I was, with the GX7 in hand with the 100-300 zoom on it, zooming around the store.

It felt like an extension of my arm and eye. It fell absolutely naturally to hand, the EVF's position was perfect for me as a right eye shooter. I tried it with the left eye (I shoot naturally with the left eye but had to abandon it when the astigmatism set in decades ago); sure, your nose is in the screen, but no more than with something like the G6 or the Oly EM5/EM1, DSLRs, etc. The GX7 is actually better for the left eye shooter since your nose is moved away from the controls.

Now I've just bought a G6 and I really like it. Great handling, etc., etc. I loved the specifications of the GX7, money was not a problem for once, but it had two things I was concerned about -- the tilting screen that has been an irritant for me on the E-PL3, instead of the fully articulated screen I had found so useful on the G1 and the KM A200 -- and the pop-up flash which I felt lacked robustness compared with the flip-up of the G6 (I'm a bit rough!).

Well, I've used the pop-up on the GM1 and I can see that with reasonable care it should last the journey. That leaves the tilting screen. Too bad!

I go forward with the mighty, white G6, but I have to say that if I had handled the GX7 before, the decision in favor of the G6 -- itself a top handling camera -- would have been much tighter than it was.

And if I find I am not using the G6's articulated screen in vertical orientation reasonably frequently, I will be whipping the cat (metaphorically!!!).

Damn, I was so happy with the G6 and GM1 outfit until that GX7 temptress moment!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow