WHY Can I Not Find Detailed IQ Comparisons Of RX100ii vs RX100?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
Re: WHY Can I Not Find Detailed IQ Comparisons Of RX100ii vs RX100?
In reply to happyass, 11 months ago

I have owned both and while I had both did some comparative testing.  For raw files, there is no difference at all below ISO 1200 or so and somewhat subtle differences above that.  For jpgs, you can tweak the settings to get whatever you wish, so unless you are unwilling to work on jpg output there is no difference there, either - or to put it differently, there is only a difference if you plan to shoot jpgs and refuse to learn to adjust the jpg settings.

The big differences are the tilt screen and the ability to mount an EVF or other accessory.  Less important (to me) are the WiFi and NFC abilities.

The size difference is immaterial and the weight difference, while probably noticeable, isn't great enough to be a deal-breaker for most people.

Buy the M2 if you want the features.  If you don't need them or are on a strict budget, buy the original.  Both are brilliant.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow