msnremea1
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance
In reply to Bob_tracks, 11 months ago

Bob_tracks wrote:

msnremea1 wrote:

At the E-M1: Menu -> Cutom Menu -> D (Disp/Tone/PC) -> Frame Rate

This setting significantly affects AF performance in low light. When setting this to "High" the E-M1 is getting nearly as fast at low light as the GH2 and in some cases it matches the GH2 speed. This setting affects EVF and LV the same way.

But there is a drawback. The manual says "Select [High] to reduce frame lag. However, the image quality may drop." I don't see any differences in the pictures taken but the image quality of the EVF and LV gets worse the darker it gets. Worse means: It is loosing more and more colour (I don't care) but at some point with very low ambient light there is nearly no picture visible anymore.

Just to be sure I understand, are you saying that when using High Frame rate:

- your jpg or raw images are NOT impaired

- images in the EVF and monitor go dark

Correct?

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. The live images in the monitor and EVF only go dark(er) in low-light situations though.
I can't see a difference in the RAW output (I never use JPG so haven't tested these).
BUT: I have not done any thorough testing. Just a few hand held shots and I compared them afterwards on the PC.

I will do some more testing over the weekend to see if the quality of the output pictures really stays the same in all situations.

msnremea1's gear list:msnremea1's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow