M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,541Gear list
Like?
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP
In reply to Glesgaguy, 8 months ago

Glesgaguy wrote:

Hi just picked up a M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro, there is a wee dial on the side of the lens, not sure what it does, the dial clicks into place for 3 of the 4 settings but if I try to put it into the 1:1 setting it springs back to previous setting.

Am I doing something wrong or is the lens broken.

Thanks in advance

Andy

The only thing you did wrong was to start using the lens without first understanding how it works. 

The "wee dial" not locking into place in the 1:1 position does not mean it's broken, that's just the way it was designed. (I concede it is a bit confusing but they didn't ask me before producing the lens.) As the review associated with the first link says:

"Using the lens is not difficult to get used to once you figure out the small dial on the side of the lens. When choosing to use the lens in traditional mode the dial should be set to 0.4 to infinity. When shooting in macro mode, the dial should be set to the 0.19 to 0.4m setting. It will give you full 1:1 magnification. Moving the dial to the 1:1 setting automatically transfers the dial back to the 0.19-0.4m setting anyway. I used this action when I wanted a quick setting change to macro mode without having to look at the lens. Once I was used to changing the mode dial it was smooth sailing."

Digital Camera Review of 60mm Macro (with dial explanation)

There are other numerous reviews, blogs, posts etc. about the lens, that can be readily found by using Google. You might want to read some of them. Here are a couple; there are others if you are interested.

Review of 60mm Macro (with explanation of dial)

Robin Wong Review (shows how good the lens is)

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow