ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,189
Like?
so, how is cloud storage useful?
7 months ago

There must be like a billion articles on cloud storage and backing up photos. So lets do the math. I've got a 4 TB hard drive that holds all my photos. About $150. Google+ photo storage charges $200 a MONTH for 4 TB. Assume my hard drive last 3 years before replacement = 12 * 3 * $200 = $7200 total cost in "cheap" storage from Google for the same period.

How is that a deal, or even affordable? I could set up a triple redundant hard drive system for thousands less.

Now, there are a number of companies who offer unlimited free storage for a nominal price. But it comes with a catch. They evaluate your usage, and at their discretion, they can switch you to a business plan if you don't follow "normal" consumer usage. I'm guessing 4TB isn't normal usage, so you'd be put on 500GB for $50 a month (for JustCloud.) One months service would pay for 500 GB hard drive - a years service would pay for a redundant RAID array with update.

500GB "business" storage is nothing when you're shooting 32GB memory cards and larger.

Now Livedrive seems to offer unlimited storage, but has this catch that prevents archival backups.

"You must at all times run the Livedrive software on any computer that is being backed up and you must ensure this computer connects to the Internet at least once every 30 days. Livedrive will remove backups for computers that have not connected to the service for 30 days."

So, if I'm on vacation and my home computer fails, 30 days later all my backup is gone. PLUS, I can only upload from one computer. So, another no go.

So 1.) how can these companies get away with paying 10 times what it would cost you create your own redundant back up system (I'd think with their quantity advantage, prices would be cheaper and 2.) how is cloud back up even affordable and 3.) is cloud back off just another rip off designed to waste your money on yet another subscription service? Because if I die tomorrow, as least all my photos are in my computer, but if I had a cloud service, they're going to get deleted in a month.

And I haven't even gone into data transfer rates and finding your stuff with search indexing and all that. Right now every photo on my computer is indexed and quickly findable.

Bottom line - I can't find a single cloud storage service that seem useful to serious photographers.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow