ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DCooper
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Continuous Lighting Solutions for Still Life advice
6 months ago

Hi guys,

Please can I get your advice with a Continuous Lighting Set-up.

For the past few months I have been creating Still Life photography in my small dining room at home, and I currently use two lamps with 30w daylight bulbs 30W Bayonet Daylight Energy Saving Light Bulb Equivalent Output 150 Watts, with some DIY diffusers, reflectors, etc

After much research, I think I have a good idea of lighting technique and I want to upgrade my lighting Set-up. I’ve been thinking about buying an Interfit Continuous lighting kit for my small, home Studio Set-up for Still Life work.

The ‘Supercool 4 55’ kit comes with 900 Watts of tungsten lighting power and uses four cool-running, daylight-balanced 55 Watt fluorescent lamps, in two switchable banks per head. It also has two Octobox softboxes and costs about £320.

However I have been watching Still Life tutorial videos on learnmyshot.com and the Photographer gets some great results from using a few Clamp lamps, clamped onto light stands, plus he uses rolls of Drafting Velum, on stands, to defuse the light. The bulbs recommended are Frosted and Clear bulbs of different wattages 40w 60w 75w 100w 150w, and also Spotlight bulbs.

Obviously the latter Set-up costs less than buying a Continuous lighting kit, however I was wondering what your thoughts are on these two Set-ups please?.

I think that I am veering toward the Clamp lamp idea, but I was wondering which Set-up would I get more professional results with or would it make no difference?

Many thanks,

D.

DCooper's gear list:DCooper's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow