Photographers unable to pronounce names of camera companies.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,408
Like?
Photographers unable to pronounce names of camera companies.
7 months ago

A recent survey by the Society of Camera Manufacturers has revealed that most consumers are unable to pronounce the names of many Japanese camera companies.

Brian B O'Brian, a photographic enthusiast, said "I just feel more comfortable referring to Panasonic as 'Panny'. It's like being in a special club. Also when I was a kid we used to have a dog called Runnymede but we always called him Runny because of his bowel problems, and I suppose that might have something to do with it."

At Middleton Stoney Camera Club member Ron Bore proudly showed off his new Oly. "I used to call Olympus cameras Olympus, but when I finally got one it seemed the right time to be a little less formal." he said. "Besides Olympus sounds a bit Greek to me now."

Social researcher Bud Light is keen to explain how owning the iPad Air had influenced this trend. "By typing Siggy, as opposed to Sigma, iPad owners don't actually save any time at all but they feel they do - and that's important when you have an iPad Air."

However the dominant camera brands, Canon and Nikon do not seem to suffer shortening in quite the same way. Instead they are often referred to jointly as Canikon. "Oh yeah, I do that too now" said a Canon owner. "I used to diss Nikon owners because frankly it's fun, but recently I've been thinking of getting a D800, not only for the resolution but for the DR, which is essential for my photos of ducks in the park, and so since I'll be a dual user I think using the description Canikon indicates I'm pretty knowledgeable about both brands .................."

A spokesman from Samsung refused to speculate on why photographers don't seem to refer to them as Sammy but added "You do know we're not Japanese don't you?"

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow