Great White Shark Photography

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: A
In reply to BillD7000, 9 months ago

pologiesBillD7000 wrote:

What I would like is advise on what lens, settings, and techniques I should use with my D7100 (not yet got).

At the moment I'm thinking the Nikon Af-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens.

As it happens, I'm a certified Shark Diver and, based on experience of over 100 close encounters below the sea, I think your choice for above the water is right on. I would consider using center-point AF-S, set where the decoy is, and using an aperture of f/5.6 to f/8, to ensure adequate depth of field. This will dramatically speed-up camera responsiveness. Obviously, shoot at 6FPS.

Forget wide-angle. W/A would be good for VERY close encounters under water, or even if dragging a shark on-board, but for what you will be doing, you'll want the 70-200. The Nikon f/4 version would save you money, and likely be just as good, if not better. You don't need f/2.8.

The new Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS, is phenomenal, and gives you 50mm on a DX camera, but make sure it's behaving properly before going out to sea.  Mine needed factory focus adjustment at longer distances...

Don't just get the shark in the field of view. Try also framing a bit of the water too. I'm jealous...

http://billkeane.zenfolio.com/p687018592/h38f09513

http://billkeane.zenfolio.com/p687018592/h3c7634b0

Seems we had the same idea about the lens but I didn't read your post before I put mine up. You obviously speak from experience. Any pictures to post (as in: upload to DPReview as I can't get to the link from where I am)?

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow