Serendipity Sunset (Rokinon 7.5mm FE on E-M5)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?
Serendipity Sunset (Rokinon 7.5mm FE on E-M5)
11 months ago

Wikipedia defines "Serendipity" as a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; a fortunate mistake. Specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it.

Well, I must say that I did not go searching to catch a very peculiar sunset when we visited the French Loire region at the end of 2013, and much less when we decided on a late afternoon visit to the Château Royal de Blois (Royal Castle in the Center of the town of Blois).

http://www.chateaudeblois.fr/

The castle is lesser known than Chambord, Chenonceau or Cheverny (to name just those) but it is a marvel of centuries-spanning architecture: almost a blueprint of the different architectural styles on offer in this region, with every wing around the central courtyard representing another age.

We visited this castle for history and art.

But serendipity kicked in when we exited one wing and crossed the courtyard to another wing.

By sheer coincidence it was precisely 16.41 hours on December 28, 2018, and the sun was setting beyond the Classicist Wing of the Castle.  The door was open, and the setting sun shone right through the building, with rays entering from the southwest through a window and exiting through that open door onto the courtyard.

I quickly mounted my Rokinon fisheye and caught a shot that could not have been more spectacular if I had planned for it in advance with TPE (The Photographer's Ephemeris).  Who would ever anticipate to see the sun setting right through a historic landmark?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow