Jpgs & nefs cross platform from Windows?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,689
Like?
Re: Jpgs & nefs cross platform from Windows?
In reply to shooter2, 6 months ago

shooter2 wrote:

If I purchase a mac to use certain software that is mac based only, will I be able to open those files from the external drives?

You should be able to read from any current Windows filesystem (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT).  Mac OS X has out-of-the-box support for writing to FAT32 or exFAT, but you would need third-party drivers if you wanted to be able to write to NTFS.

And, what about future drives. I know it would be ideal to go all mac, but for now I just need OS 10.6 or better to run Tri Prism teps-x. I currently have 3 windows computers. This older one for the interweb, an older laptop for when I travel and my main imaging computer that sees very limited web use. Updates only and then unplugged from modem.

You can format data drives using the Mac filesystem (HFS+), but Windows doesn't understand HFS+; you would need third-party software just to read it.  So you might want to keep your Mac boot drive formatted using the Mac filesystem, and your external data drives formatted for Windows.

Note that Intel-based Macs can run Windows (either dual-boot, or at the same time as Mac OS X, in virtualization), so this new Mac could serve as an upgrade to one of your Windows machines.  (You would, however, need to supply your own retail copy of Windows.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow