Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
szhorvat
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Wide angle macro solution for DX body?
6 months ago

I was thinking about the feasibility of doing wide angle macro photography (say, around 1:2 reproduction ratio) with a DX body. Has anyone here done anything like this? If yes, what kind of setup did you use, or what setup (lens) would you suggest?

I am thinking of photos which don't only include the subject but also a distant background. I have the 60 mm f/2.8 (non-D) lens, which is very nice for closeups of tiny things, but the 22 degree field of view makes it impossible to include a background.

I'm not aware of a macro lens wider than 40 mm for Nikon, so the solutions I can imagine are

1. A screw in "closeup filter" -- I'm really not sure about this and how well it would work on a wide lens. Which

2. Extension tubes

3. Get an old non-Nikon wide lens and an adapter, and hope that since the lens is necessarily further from the sensor on a Nikon body it'll allow me to focus close enough and will still give a good enough quality. Which lens would be suitable?

I was thinking of (3.) because I'm looking for a budget solution (i.e. not more than what the 60 mm lens cost me). Solution (2.) likely wouldn't be cheap because it requires extension tubes that work with G lenses: the only wide ones I have are the 18-55 mm and the 35 mm f/1.8 (probably not wide enough).

So, do any of you have first hand experience with something like this and can you offer advice on how to do it best or post some photos you made?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow