Senior MemberPosts: 3,495Gear list
Like?
Re: On m4/3 they aren't sharp wide open, and worse bokeh
In reply to Pixnat2, 8 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

I don't get why the 45 is considered such a bargain. It covers a much smaller image circle than a FF nifty-fifty, but costs three times as much.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

You have to stop down those CaNikon lenses to f/4 to get decent results.

That should not be true on an MFT body, where you are already using the center of the lens, even wide open.

I've used quite a lot of FF 50mm lenses with adapter on m4/3 cameras, much better that the Nifty Fifty :

• Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4
  • Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7
  • Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4
  • Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8
  • Minolta MD 58mm f/1.4

Even if they use only the center, none of those lenses come close to the 45mm at f/1.8 in terms of sharpness. An the bokeh isn't up to the Olympus.

The only 50mm which was equal or better is the Zuiko 50mm f/2 (at f/2 of course!)

300$ (that's what I paid for a new copy in Switzerland!) for a useable wide open portrait lens with great bokeh is an absolute bargain IMHO!

P.S. The other bargain is the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G, which is a fabulous lens too, but a bit more expensive.

I agree on using FF lenses on M43. Wide open is usually sub-par. The argument about only using the central portion sounds reasonable until one checks test reports and finds that the 45/1.8 is better in the corners than these 50s in the centre.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MehNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow