Does the A7(r) kill HDR picture taking ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: LR kills HDR
In reply to JackM, 11 months ago

JackM wrote:

I agree with you. But the story is very similar in Canon land. Here I recovered the snow, which was previously blank white. Sony surely has a bit more DR, but suffice to say, there is a lot more DR in all our RAW files than the jpeg engine or even the included proprietary raw converter (e.g. Canon DPP) would have us believe. Indeed LR achieves what previously had to be faked in HDR.

Nice shot, Jack!

LR doesn't kill HDR. I am going to buy this plug-in that is only $30 to give a try. I will try to take some multiple-exposed photos and merge into one photo with this plug-in in my forthcoming central EU trip in early March. According to this HDR guru this is the best plug-in handling HDR files.

http://www.joshuaguntherphotography.com/merge-to-32-bit-hdr-tutorial/

Separately I also agreed Canon cameras also can handle contrast scenes but Sony sensors certainly have more room in this area, that's the reason I might also get an A7/A7R to supplement to my 5D3 in addition to small/light daily walk-around FF body. Canon might release a high DR DSLR this year but its FF ML is not near any time soon by just looking its EOS-M development. From what I have seen so far, I am more impressed in evening photos (low light) on tripod (at base ISO) from A7/A7R than in daylight when compared to Canon cameras. In evening photos, sometime I need to clean up dark sky/shadow from my 5D2/5D3 photos.

5D3 OOC RAW, just a demo photo

processed from above.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow