Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
msnremea1
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance
In reply to radsaq, 6 months ago

radsaq wrote:

I don't think your test is controlling for enough variables. In my experience, focusing on subjects in low light (especially low contrast ones like black text on a brown cardboard box) is going to be highly variable depending the exact placement of the focus point. And while the subject in the video isn't changing, the framing and focus point location are varying enough that I wouldn't say it's a fair comparison.

You are completely correct but in real world tests (like focussing on peoples faces that slightly move) differences are bigger from what I experienced so far. I mean in "real world" the E-M1 is even slower compared to the GH2.
Interestingly for the 45mm / 1:1.8 where during the tests the times are nearly identical the difference is quite big when using them on peoples faces in low light.
The contrast between the cardboard box and the black paint is 3.8 EV (measuerd with Gossen Starlite spot meter). I would consider 3.8 EV not as low contrast.

msnremea1's gear list:msnremea1's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow