Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
msnremea1
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance
In reply to Brian Wadie, 9 months ago

Brian Wadie wrote:

I'm never quite sure when I read about low light or dim light what is the context in a real world situation?

Good example would be wedding party in the evening where usually the ambient light is around EV3 - EV 5, at least the ones where I'm invited.
Being able to catch a nice move from someone on the dance-floor or a nice facial expression requires to be able to really focus and trigger fast. I got a several impressive pictures from that with my GH2 that cause laughs for a long time.
Another example is a soccer game at night where I was asked to take pictures of. This was not a professional stadium and the light was far from bright (just good enough to play the game). Maybe this example is not a good one because at that time I used an EOS 1D Mark III which is made for sports photography but I believe this might have worked with the GH2 as well.
These are just two examples but there are many other situations where it is beneficial to have fast AF in low light.
This is why I'm trying to find out why the E-M1 is so much slower in low light than the old GH2 and if I can do anything against it.

msnremea1's gear list:msnremea1's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow