Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Charles Currey
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: Expensive dive into the Full-Frame world.
In reply to user_name, 11 months ago

user_name wrote:

The Df is one of the most expensive FF (full-frame) cameras. It's a good camera, but you are spending more on the body than I think one should.

The real expense will be the lenses in the end. FF lenses generally get expensive unless you are willing to trade cost for quality.

I might suggest you look at a low mileage D700 as an alternative. It will be bigger and heavier than the Df, but much less expensive.

The resale on the D700 will probably be about the same as what you pay for it, so if you decide you want to upgrade or if FF is not what you had hoped, you can recover more of your investment.

The Df is more of an emotional purchase than most cameras, so you really need to think about your photograph goals and see if spending that much helps or hinders your objectives.

Then again, if money is no object, go ahead and buy one of everything.

I would agree with this post entirely, unless high ISO is important to you. I went from a D3 (same sensor as the D700) to the D3s. I kept the D3 as a backup. The first time I had to use the D3 I ordered another D3s overnight to finish my shoot. The difference at high ISO was that great. I suspect that the Df is as great an improvement over the D3s as the D3s was over the D3/D700. For me high ISO is important. About half of my shooting is done between ISO 5000 and 10000. Absent that need, though, I would buy the D700 over the Df. Good luck with your decision.

-- hide signature --

Chuck Currey

Charles Currey's gear list:Charles Currey's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3S Sony a6000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow