Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
msnremea1
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 low light auto focus performance
In reply to msnremea1, 7 months ago

Thank you for your answers!
I tried it with all options on the E-M1. Tried small middle, normal middle, grouped and full. Nothing made a significant difference.
I'm completely happy with the capabilities when there is nearly no light left at all like on the street outside of my window where it's nearly completely dark.
The focus light doesn't go that far but the E-M1 still manages to focus. Takes several seconds though but it is still impressive because my Canon EOS 1D Mark III couldn't do the same.
The only real issue I see is when there is still enough light (like the EV 4 in the video) which is more than plenty for a modern camera and the E-M1 get really slow there.
I found another video on Youtube with someone doing a low-light compare of the GH2 against the E-M5. It is just a very simple compare but the result looks like my compare of the E-M1 vs. GH2.
Overall the focus capabilities of the E-M1 seem great. It can focus with hardly any light and it also works when there is basically no contrast.
That even makes it more sad to see how slow the E-M1 gets in dim light (far from dark) and a high contrast object.
Still not sure if my camera is broken and I should send it in...

msnremea1's gear list:msnremea1's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow