Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lighttripper
Contributing MemberPosts: 677
Like?
old meets new X20
11 months ago

I'm joining the X crowd a little late, the new Fuji X20 here resting beside an old, now dysfunctional Minolta 35mm rangefinder, the latter a little film camera I carried around for almost 30 years--through the Sierra Nevada, the Appalachians, the Cascades, Canadian Rockies, Yellowstone and a bicycle trips across the country. A simple, functional camera that well exposed slide and negative film almost without fail. Hoping the X20 is capable of channeling the old friend.

So far, all I've done with X20 Raw files has been to download samples and play with several Raw developers (some on trial, so far)--Iridient, Capture 0ne, Photoninja and then Photoshop Raw tools with the resulting TIFFs. Noise/grain and some smearing?--yes, but manageable.

I did discover something I hadn't expected. Managed to produce seeming identical results with the same RAW sample using Capture One and the latest version of Iridient. Had to substantially alter the sharpening routine I generally use for Bayer digital files. Iridient's R-L Deconvolution sharpening settings have simply worked miracles with most RAW photography for me for years. Results recently with the Panasonic FX7 were nothing short of astounding. But with Fuji's new sensor, I had to change the Deconvolution settings significantly--the settings in Deconvolution for the X20--R19 L23--produced TIFF files looking identical to Capture one when viewed above 300% enlargement.

Hope to take the X20 on its first spins around town and local landscapes--then down to business in Yellowstone.

Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow