Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 14mm f2.8. But...
In reply to mermaidkiller, 6 months ago

mermaidkiller wrote:

Damoo wrote:

I rented and tried the 14mm f2.8 L II on my 6D. I think its one of the best lens from Canon in terms of optics.

But then its too damn expensive & I could not figure out if its worth the price. (2000+ USD)And it has a bulged front end but not a fish eye lens.

When one checks this lens, then the decision tree is wider. With compromise A, you get Samyang14mm f2.8, with compromise B the 17-40mm L is good, with compromise C sigma 12-24m.... the list goes on. Depends on what you can compromise and what you cannot.

According to this test

http://www.extremeinstability.com/lens14mm.html

the Samyang has better IQ than the Canon. But, the Samyang has more distortion and vignetting which can be corrected. Coma and CA can NOT be corrected. I like this Samyang as well on my 6d, razor sharp pics even at full f/2.8, and due to the short focal length, manual focus and control is not an issue for me.

You have a Sigma 10-20 ? I have had that lens and it should work on a fullframe like a 6d (not tried myself) and from 15mm on without vignetting. Lower FL (10-15mm) will obviously a circular image with a blurred edge.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

I tried a 10-20 on a 5D III for a laugh (I've just recently switched from APS-C and haven't sold it yet). Unless you like extreme vignette in everything its really not an option.  I'd be loathed to use it even in an emergency.  I'd say frame filling hits more like about 17mm, so you're left with something that's not far off a prime in terms of zoom range and a pretty dreadful prime at that.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
okayNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow