ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Simon Elwell
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
When is retro just a backward step?
6 months ago

So here's the thing...

There's a reason I (and a number of you judging by what I've read here) sold the DSLR kit and went for the X series.  I can sum it up easily

• size
  • form
  • weight

When I look at the latest round of retro cameras -  my heart sinks.  If I wanted a camera that looked like that  (ie an SLR) I'd have stuck with an SLR.

The FF sony is 450g and the OMD a similar weight.  The EX2 is 350g.

Why, oh why, are camera manufacturers fixated on a form-factor that essentially derives from the need to pull a roll of film across a shutter plane?  Has no one come up with a way of putting an APS-C or similar sensor into a camera that departs from this ball-and-chain?

If the rumours are right the new XT will be yet another hark-back camera. I love my 100S and my X-Pro 1 but I want to move forward not back.  In this day and age wi-fi should be absolutely standard as should bluetooth-style remote control. Video similarly should be easy to deliver in top quality (for those who want it).  Are the manufacturers deliberately stringing out the product development timeline with the cynical aim of selling kit that can easily be superceded?

Just imagine your pleasure if you took delivery of a new car, only to be told that for reasons of "retro styling" it had a cassette deck.

Sometimes retro is fun, stylish and trendy.  Sometimes it's just looking back instead of forward.

PS apologies to Go-Pro who do actually seem to be pushing the boundaries...but in different market segment

Simon Elwell's gear list:Simon Elwell's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow