Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris 88
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Great White Shark Photography
6 months ago

(this is reposted on recommendation from the Nature and Wildlife Forum)

In a few months I will be charting a boat out of Cape Town South Africa to photograph great white sharks. One of the behaviours I hope to capture is the famous breaching where the shark leaps from the sea. In order to induce this a fake seal will be dragged behind the boat.

What I would like is advise on what lens, settings, and techniques I should use with my D7100 (not yet got).

The variables are as follow. The rope with the decoy on is 10-15 meters so that is my distance to the subject. The average great white is 4-5.2m, so that will be the size of the subject. The subject will be moving as approximately 25mph and will be airborne (visible) for 1.2s.

At the moment I'm thinking the Nikon Af-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens. That is probably the most I can push my budget. Part of me thinks if I'm going to get an FX lens I might as well get a D610 to go with it but let me know what you think.

Chris 88's gear list:Chris 88's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Camera Raw 7 Adobe Bridge CS6
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D610 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow