E-PL5, Auto-ISO and flash - bug, feature or misconfiguration?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
E-PL5, Auto-ISO and flash - bug, feature or misconfiguration?
8 months ago

Hi,

I've recently got the E-PL5 and love it for its size and fantastic IQ from my Pany 20mm/1.7.

I'm still learning how to use the camera and I can't figure out the logic of the Auto-ISO with E-PL5 + LM-1 flash.

This is what I see with my E-PL5 + kit lens + kit flash:

• Aperture/Shutter priority without flash: The ISO is selected automatically; it's value is shown before the shot (i.e. LCD shows ISO-A + 800 to indicate that ISO800 will be used for the shot).

Fine, this is how it should be.

• Aperture priority with the kit flash: The ISO is selected automatically, however LCD always shows ISO-A + 200. For example, the actual shot may be taken @ISO800, however there is no way of knowing that before taking and reviewing the shot. Strangely, if the scene is dark enough, the shot will be done with ISO200.

1. Is there a way to see the automatically selected ISO before the shot (as in the case without the flash)?  Setting Live Boost On or Off  and Flash to Auto/Fill in doesn't affect the observed behavior.

• Shutter priority with the kit flash: LCD always shows ISO-A + 200. The shot is always taken at ISO200, looks like auto-ISO doesn't work.

2. Is there a way to enable Auto-ISO when the flash is used with the Shutter priority mode?

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow