Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
watcher1
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
E-M1 + Panny 100-300mm: A Very Good Match
6 months ago

I was testing my E-M1 and Panny 100-300mm this afternoon in my backyard in good winter light. Our resident red-shouldered hawk was making himself available on an open branch. I offer the results below as a good indication of what this body-lens combination can do.

I shot hand-held. Focal lengths were as indicated. Cropping and image tweaking were done in Lightroom 5.3. I am not yet very proficient, so processing was pretty basic. Others may be able to get more from the original OOC data. That being said, I am pretty impressed with the sharpness (considering these are hand-held) and overall image quality of the 220-250mm shots. I did not process the 300mm image because it appeared a bit softer than the others (which agrees with most reviews of the lens). But then again, it is a 600mm, hand-held shot!

The 100-300 gets some bad press, but I have obtained good results with it on my E-M5 using the Feinmechanik lens collar and a monopod. Now it also appears to do very well with the E-M1.

I was considering purchase of the Olympus ED 50-200mm SWD as an improvement in IQ, but now I’ll have to think a little longer.

Cheers

223mm OOC

223mm Crop

246mm OOC

246mm Crop

252mm OOC

252mm Crop

300mm OOC

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow