Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,377Gear list
Like?
FZ50+3" Reflecting Telescope
6 months ago

With a complete jury rig setup, a telescope on its stand and an FZ50 on its, I tried aiming the telescope at the Moon, and the FZ50 into the eyepiece (with macro 250 lens attached).

The FZ50 on its own an handheld took this:

I added the two red rectangles of the detail shots I took below:

These shots were extremely tricky. First off the Earth is busy rotating and those detail shots passed through every 10 seconds or so. Accordingly shutter speed had to be high ergo ISO was raised. Secondly adjusting the telescope to chase said moon meant the FZ50 was no longer looking down the barrel. Quite the game of chase, but though blurred a great deal more detail was recorded over the FZ50 alone. Focussing was very difficult and tapping my finger on the ground between the tripod legs jogged the view. Talk about sensitive. When a car drove by photography had to wait.

Anyway. Great fun and set to continue.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow