Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, for me… but not for you
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 7 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Lightpath48 wrote:

Yes, you've described it exactly for me. I don't need the technical razor-splitting protocols you describe.

An example from last week: shooting near the "blue hour" where the DR of the sky vs. ground exceeds what an un-manipulated JPEG or EVF can handle. I know what I wanted my final image to look like but I would have to expose for one part and then lighten/darken the other. Possibilities for getting what I had in mind included multi-shot HDR and/or a (software) graduated filter and/or dodging/burning and/or maybe even some fill-flash. The EVF can't show me any of these options pre-shot -- of course you can chimp afterwards with any camera. With an EVF, if I exposed for the shadows, then the clouds would be blown in the VF and it would be hard to see their details; if I exposed for the sky, then I could not see what the foreground interest was doing at that moment (e.g. a person fishing.)

There are workarounds for all of this of course but if you do any non-trivial processing, what you see in the EVF is not going to be closer to the final image than what you see in an OVF.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Exactly.  You should already have your camera set pretty closely to what your exposure is going to be before you lift the camera to your eye to snap the shot IMO.  Modern cameras meter light very well - if you really need that much handholding perhaps it's time to learn more about photography.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow