amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,809
Like?
I was doing reporting photography...
In reply to canonagain123, 10 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

amalric wrote:

canonagain123 wrote:

a 100% OVF shows you EXACTLY what the sensor sees (framing). Correct exposure (that should know just by looking around you) will get you the result you want, in other words the results you already knew you'd get. RAW is for latitude, no correct exposure can capture 20+ stops of DR in a JPG. It's not just about fixing mistakes. Nothing's uglier than an overexposed window, unless you want to depict a heavenly domicile where pure white lite flows in through the window.

I am left wondering if you have even tried a WYSIWYG camera, also known as mirrorless.

I am sure that people get them so that they can avoid RAW. That is the reason why Olympus provides so many ways to pre-process in camera.

Live Time which allows to *visualise* in real time a long exposure building up, is only the latest device. Tone and colour management, WB correction, etc where all things that were not available when Photoshop and RAW started their run.

Perhaps a bit of updating?

PS Journalists and pros in a hurry often try to *avoid* RAW. Is it so difficult to understand why?

Am.

you can bet your socks on me doing all JPG all the time. However, that's not what I'm doing, so I use RAW almost always. If I quickly need a picture, then I'll use JPG. I'm not sure what you wanted to say.

Just that. That I was doing PJ and I was using slides, like most PJ. The modern equivalent of Jpegs.

Now that I do Street Shooting as a hobby I apply the same principles of HCB: never spray and pray, take just one shot, for good or evil, and never rework it. 'There are no maybes':

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/cartier-bresson-there-are-no-maybes/?_r=2

Every image is a pass or fail. The 'cooking' in the digital darkroom is for commercial hacks.

Another philosophy, the decisive instant.

Am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow