Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568Gear list
Like?
Re: Vignette Exercise.
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 8 months ago

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

whisky wrote:

Hi,

Just trying to catch up with all the special effects.

Joan of Arc, Blois.

Since it's an exercise, I hope you'll not mind a small critique - not really of your image so much as the vignetting process in general.

I see why people vignette images, but one of the things that often bothers me about using it is that the visual effect is unbalanced - your shot is a good example of this. The sky is nicely vignetted on both sides, but on the bottom half the left corner is super dark while on the bottom right you can't really see a vignette. So to me, it looks like the image is being squeezed, or escaping towards the bottom right corner...

I have always wondered why vignette tools do not give you the option to adjust the strength of the vignette at each corner so you could even things. Perhaps there is some software that lets you tweak that, but I've not heard of any.

Well, with Aperture you could always paint-in or paint-out the vignette effect.

I like to approach vignette in a way where it's a very subtle effect to "guide" the eye.  If you can tell, then I think it's too much.  That said, I do like images where they may be overall done a bit dark and the vignette, conversely, opens up the subject.

_Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow