Wide angle lens?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle lens?
In reply to Colin Franks, 9 months ago

Colin Franks wrote:

Coming from m4/3, I recently bought a 6D, and have a 50mm; 70-200, and the Tamron 150-600 is on order. I'm not familiar with the offerings for wide angle lenses, so I'm seeking advice on what one lens would be a good choice for the 6D. I don't even know if I should get a prime or something with a little zoom. (General shooting/landscapes). Any advice?

Facing a similar dilemma (have a Sigma 10-20 but its an APS-C lens and will be getting sold).  Although my 24-105L is now actually reasonably wide on FF. My shortlist that I'm looking into are..

- Sigma 12-24mm II (crazy wide at the short end and OK without being wow)

- Canon 17-40L (the safe choice and the only one of the three that takes filters)

- Sigma 15mm diagonal fisheye (which looks intriguing, very good quality and is the cheaper of the three)

The Samyang others mentioned I was initially very much drawn to but put off a bit that some of the distortion is very difficult to correct, which limits its application slightly.  Seen some great images from it though

As for zoom versus prime, its the usual trade-offs.  You gain versatility but can lose a little in IQ and sometimes distortion and speed.  Given even a 10mm range of zoom, the difference in framing of shots at either end of that is massive.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
okayNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow