Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to Hugo First, 7 months ago

Hugo First wrote:

good luck finding you answer. i'm having quite a similar ordeal trying to make the same call. my reasons are a bit different but i've been batting this thing back and forth for a fortnight, and i'm no closer to a resolution now than i was at the beginning.

i take that as a strong indication that i don't really need a Df, but i can't simply banish the notion, either.

i'm lured in by the smaller weight (size seem comparable to the "prosumer" nikon DSLRs, so it ain't what you'd call small). the retro appearance is not especially alluring but the compatibility with old MF nikkors is a draw. i envision it as a nighttime and street camera, so its reputed ISO abilities are desirable, but having grown to adore the D800s large files, i'm less than impressed by 16mpx resolution -- even though it's clearly enough.

the price isn't, i'm a bit embarassed to admit, not a big stumbling block. what's a bit discouraging to me is trying to figure out how i'm going to get my money's worth using the darned thing. that wouldn't be an issue at all if i was retired and had lots of time on my hands, but as it is, my free time is so limited that i sometimes only have opportunity to shoot on weekends. self indulgence is one thing, but pointless accumulation of material goods is difficult for me to rationalize.

so, here i sit, reading yet another Df thread and pondering whether this camera would be a good fit for me, and a useful addition to my kit. thus far, an answer escapes me -- although, again, to ask the question is almost to answer it.

good luck to anyone else in a similar quandary.

Yeah, its one of those things, once you decide you want it, its very hard to let it go! But partly because you know they arent probably going to do a next or new version for minimum 18 months to 2 years. So if you are excited now, you might as well jump on! I have a holiday to SA planned in March so I think I am going to bide my time and see if there is any drop in cost between now and then. I have already seen the Panamoz price drop by a fair bit.

Good luck in your decision!

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow