Sony A65 to Canon Move - What do you suggest/ recommend?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KDDOF
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Sony A65 to Canon Move - What do you suggest/ recommend?
11 months ago

To save you some reading I put the full back story after my question.

I am interested in purchasing the 6D for it's low light dominance but I currently don't have the budget for one and still get a quality lens, Canon 24-70 L or Canon 24-105 L. I am currently working with $600 and would like to be comfortable with the new system by mid March.

-I can sell my Sony set up for close to $600-$700 to give me a total of $1200/$1300.
-Or I could keep the Sony gear since I am familiar with it (back up camera) and do more photography and web development between now an march to save up the money for one of these systems.

What do you suggest/ recommend?

I do not have a FF or Crop preference right now, funding limit, but I do know in the long run I want to shoot FF for the “genre’s” I mentioned above.

Canon EOS-1D $430 (used) - Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens - $760 (used) - total $1,190 plus tax

5D Mk 2 $1,590 (used) - Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens - $760 (used) – total $2,350 plus tax

6D $1,400 (new) - Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens - $760 (used) (Add $200 for kit) – total $2,160 plus tax

60D $540(used/new add $100) – Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS - $879.00 – total $1,419 plus tax

I currently shoot with a Sony A65 camera and want to make the move to Canon. I am still developing my craft as a photographer and have not selected a specific “genre” but I do know I would like to stay close to business portraits, fashion, products, and maybe some weddings (low-light ability for not being able to use flash is key) areas of photography. I like shooting with natural light but I do have a Canon EX550 (I know I have Sony but it was free so I use it manually with a converter). I also have a set of flashpoint studio strobes.

I’ve been asked today to be a second shooter for a wedding in March of this year, and I also have an upcoming wedding in August of this year. Again, I do not want to be a “wedding photographer” but I am willing to shoot it with art/ creativity, and making the bride and groom happy, in mind.

note – Again, I am a user and would like to get familiar with the new camera system as soon as possible but do not want to waste money so if saving up is your suggestion, I’ll rent a better lens for the Sony for the wedding in March and make the money before August to get the 6D for it’s low light capabilities and a quality L lens.

KDDOF's gear list:KDDOF's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 6D Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow