Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,430Gear list
Like?
Re: FOUND IT! :D
In reply to MrTofu, 11 months ago

MrTofu wrote:

Hey guys,

First time posting here. Just ordered my EM1 and 12-40 and have been following the M43 forum for a little while now. A question: I have always wondered the methodology behind using a button in the back (AFL) to focus. I guess the half press of the shutter is what I "grew up" on and am used to it. What benefits/advantages do ones who use this method enjoy?

Thanks!

It is useful for Manual Focus, such as I have MF Mode 3 where the AEL/AFL button causes AF.

That way then the MF operation is only a possible fine tune to what the AF has already achieved.

Others do it with S-AF so the AF operation is separated from the shutter button, that way the focus stays where you left it to prevent the half-press AF causing a re-try and possible delay on subsequent shots.

I for one like S-AF at half press, so only use that AFL button for MF mode as above.

But everyone is different, and thankfully the Oly menus allow a large degree of customisation.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow