A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,401Gear list
Like?
Re: EMEM...
In reply to mistermejia, 11 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

emem wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

When you were one of the only people having a problem, people were not too thrilled about claims that the K-3 was a bad camera... That was really the only problem.

I would do a complete factory reset and start over. Turn the HIgh ISO noise Reduction off and turn the AFA to AF-s and see where your at.

I bet your photos improve dramatically.

No, they won't. Here's a sample.

I've turned High ISO Noise Reduction to Auto. I've turned Slow Shutter Speed Noise Reduction to Auto. I never have my camera set to AF-A. I've set my camera to the Custom Image settings suggested by David Tittermary. I never fully believed your assertion about the noise reduction being the problem (or possibly ANY problem) but was hardly in a position to argue a case, but now I'm getting close. Time will tell. In the meantime, have a look at the image below, shot at 6400 ISO with NR set to Auto. Shot in a reasonably dark corner of a shed. I opened it in ACDsee and applied a little NR then resized it for here, otherwise it's as taken. Enlarge it to 100% and see if you'd be happy with it had you taken it?

Can you tell me here what settings to use to replicate the problem you were getting with aggressive NR? I'd like to try it from scratch.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

...Wait a minute! Am i understanding this correctly? Please correct me if i am wrong, but is Qwntm suggesting to you to turn NR OFF, and you are saying that no you don't want to, or you haven't turned NR to OFF and you preffer to set NR to AUTO???

No, you are obviously not understanding correctly. I am saying that I DO NOT THINK THAT NR IS CAUSING OR HAS CONTRIBUTED IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY TO MY PROBLEM. However at the moment it is just a thought. The image I took here had NR set to Auto - something Qwntm has said is causing blurred images. I did it intentionally to show it has no effect on the image.

LOTS of people have suggested to you already to turn NR to OFF. emem, have you even tried shooting your K3 with NR OFF at all??

Of course I have - I might be stupid but I'm not an idiot!!

From what i understand, NR set to auto DOES degrade your photo's sharpness and detail dramatically. What exactly is going on here sir?

And how did you come by this understanding? Is it from your own tests and trials or have you been reading what Qwntm wrote?

Also may i ask what lenses or lens, you have been using with all these samples you have posted?

I have been using the DA18-135 and DA*60-250.

Now can I ask you a question? Have you read the opening post of mine? It explains quite clearly what my issue was. Nothing, nil, nada, zilch to do with NR settings. I still have much testing and measuring to do, but I'm confident I now have the solution to MY problem (and I suspect a few others had similar problems). I believe the NR "solution" so widely publicised by Ed (Qwntm) is, in fact, a furphy. My problems, I'm almost certain, stem from clipping highlights because of my Custom Image settings, focusing issues, possibly connected to shooting in shade/low light, and excessive noise as a by-product of the other issues.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow