Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AlexPonsin
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Protecting the 23mm's front ?
6 months ago

I have recently replaced replaced my 18mm by the 23mm and I could not be more happy with it. However I terribly miss the lens hood of the 18 that I loved dearly:

- the squared look

- the whole metal build

- the small size

In comparison the hood of the 23mm is huge and plastic (beurk). I don't want to use it, it makes the camera not good for street shooting. I basically don't care about the flare protection of the hood, so I really don't mind using it. However I really do mind that I no longer have protection of the front of the lens. While shooting in real life conditions I happen to bang the lens around quite a bit. My scratched and banged up 18mm hood proved that to me without a doubt.

So basically I am looking for solution (or suggestion) on how to protect the front of the lens, I would hate those scratches and bangs to actually affect the lens itself. The obvious answer is a clear filter, but I don't like those either (lots of night shooting and glare, etc.) Alternative that I could think of: filter ring (without the glass), but it's kinda of ugly... anything else you can think of ?

Much appreciated.

Alex

AlexPonsin's gear list:AlexPonsin's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow