APS-C Leica T type 701 to be announced in April

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,379Gear list
Like?
Re: APS-C Leica T type 701 to be announced in April
In reply to bosjohn, 6 months ago

bosjohn wrote:

I'm still hopeful that someday Leica will offer a cheaper rangefinder. Even the M-E is out of reach for me. I'd love to have a full system camera (like the Sony will be or a Canon) and then either an M-E or MM for other times. I'm less interested in the 240 as I seem to prefer the output of the older CCD sensor.

Enjoy your M8!

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

this is of course the rub. It would be next to impossible to build a cheaper m with an optical range finder without seriously compromising the accuracy and usability. The range finder viewfinder assembly and housing represents about a third of the cost of the M9 or so.

If they can make an electronic rangefinder accurate enough that could save as much a two grand in manufacturing costs. and significantly reduce the size of the camera. Maybe this is a route which they might take as it would mean then they could use an m mount with aps c and manual focusing as we Leica M users tell everyone we love. By electronic range finder for this purpose I mean a distance sensor same as for auto focus but you gotta pant and grunt twisting the lens till the green led says your in focus.

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Well, how did Epson do it with the R-D1? Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious. They were never exactly cheap cameras either, but much more manageable pricewise. If they came out with an R-D2 with an aps-c sensor I'd be all over it, despite the woes of using m-mount lenses on crop.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow