Started 8 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SpenceJack
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Amazing picture taking experience
8 months ago

I just bought this camera a week ago and I just cannot stop taking pictures.  Don't get me wrong, the quality of the camera, the build, the tech specs, the shear number of megapixels on a full frame sensor and an incredibly sharp Zeiss 35 mm lens, all of that is spectacular.  But what is really amazing is how much fun it is to use.

This camera just begs to fall into manual mode.  I turned it on and within five minutes was using manual focus and aperture priority mode just like I used to on my old mechanical Nikon FG.  Remember how that used to be?

The simplicity is accessible, but the complexity is deep.  So right off the bat I'm having fun with aperture priority and notice that the shutter speed does not seem to drop below sixty, and it becomes apparent that it's automatically adjusting the ISO to preserve the 1/60 shutter speed. In two seconds I limit the ISO Max to 6400 or something like that.  Easy.  And in doing that I noticed how to turn on Manual Focus and then I was playing with the cool red lines and intuitive zoom-to-precision manual focus.

And the pictures are just spectacular.  I have a one of those Giant new iMac screens and I can zoom in about to someone's eye tooth, and even the pixelation seems to have a texture.  Shooting in Raw mode the nuances of detail and light are fun to play with.

Buy this camera.  Just go buy it and get used to a 35mm lens for a while until a few more lens are available.  In the meantime, have fun remembering how to take pictures.

The ratings below reflect that it does not bother me to wait a while for lenses to be released.  I don't mind investing a little at a time.

SpenceJack's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow