A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
Re: A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 11 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

emem wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Bright Mode!!!! The killer of image quality rears its ugly head.

Well, Bright Mode is the default setting for the K-3. I did try the Natural setting briefly but found it way too dull. Perhaps to a RAW shooter, Natural may be ok. But when I chimp after taking a shot, I prefer seeing something on the rear screen that looks kind of like the real thing, not some desaturated version of it.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

The bigger problem with the Natural JPEG preset is the way it displays Caucasian skin tones. Too pink-ish or maybe lacking in yellow (I'm not a color expert). Could this be why Pentax has chosen Bright as the default for Western countries while leaving Natural as the default for Asian countries?

Regardless, you can desaturate Bright in-camera to get an improvement for overall shooting if JPEG is what you're after.

I am in the Bright Mode camp (K30). I sometimes get the impression that some (no one here, of course) who advocate Natural are influenced more by labels. They jump to the conclusion that Bright must be for teenage girls that don't know better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow