Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,446Gear list
Like?
Using my Df for work
3 months ago

These last few days I had to shoot 180 necklaces, bracelets/cuffs and earrings for a client in a big hurry. The photos are for line sheets, which are PDFs of various collections. The photos are for ID purposes, so they're not beauty shots of any kind, strictly for buyers, so they're not seen large. This is fairly non-critical work, but you still want to make the client happy.

Rather than waste megapixels I decided to give the Df a go. Obviously you can do this simplistic stuff with a lot of DSLRs, but I did shoot some of the larger pieces at higher ISOs and everything was super clean. Even before I did the WB, I noticed that the JPEG results were nearly perfect. When the designer is sitting behind you and says the color is perfect, it's a good thing!

I really enjoyed using the Df for this. The file size makes for fast post and the shots were darn close to perfect OOC. The previous collection was shot with my D800 and I had to work with the WB more in post and I really think the LCD was showing me a less accurate image when I zoomed in.

Next up, a few simple portraits and this is where the Df is very nice to handle and I could glance at my settings more easily than with the D800 lcd that usually has me dropping my reading glasses down and angling the glare away so I can read the LCD.

Heck, even the designer commented on the Df being beautiful!

I've been doing some street shooting with the Df. Will post some of that soon.

Now that I'm much more used to the handling and interface I've decided that the only part of the design I don't like is the SD card slot in the base. If you've got the Df on an extension with a bullhead, there are some positions where swapping the SD card was a drag. Beyond that...the Df is a home run for me and my D800 has gotten very very lonely!

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow