Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,311Gear list
Like?
Use MFT as well
In reply to tkelly11, 3 months ago

I use both the Df and MFT gear

The EM5 output is superb, you can't ask more from a sensor a quarter the size of FF

However there are a few things the Df yield can better results

1) low noise at high ISOs; MFT can't approach this , not does the D800/600 or Canon for that matter

2) the clear shallow DOF when using the Df with fast primes (F2.0 or faster) ; one can see the clear isolation of the subject to the BG (sort of 3D like) ; with MFT this is harder to achieve; but for group shots MFT has the advantage even at F4

3) fast AF especially with C-AF; MFT can't beat DSLRs as yet in this area; for static AF, MFT CDAF is good enough

The rest is all personal preference EVF vs OVF, mirror vs non mirror, small vs large body

To me the Df with its classic retro design is a huge plus in my books; I 'd never have bought it had it have the same design as the d800/600

I love the dials and manual controls which I 'm used to in the film days

Now whether those differences warrant the extra dough for you, only you can decide

If you have deep pockets then don't think twice, it's the better camera of the 2

if not then maybe borrow or loan one before making the jump

Best wishes

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow