Why EVF will never replace OVF for me

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
nigelht
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: Why EVF will never replace OVF for me
In reply to canonagain123, 11 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

Because the LCD kills my nightvision, and I'm not ready to replace my eyeballs with a tiny LCD screen. Who knows what it would do to my nightvision in the long term. Fully adapted, I can see things that no EVF could dream of seeing.

For $6500 you can get a EVF that you can see far more than natural night adapted human vision.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/399153-REG/AstroScope_9350_NIKS_3PRO_Night_Vision_Adapter_9350_NIKS_3PRO.html

This would work fine on any mirror less EVF like on the Nikon 1 (since it can use nikon AFS lenses).

Is is expensive (and big) but you can certainly build a mirrorless system with a night vision capable EVF natively today.

Alternative to light amplification a camera sensor could be very good in the IR.  A EVF using an IR sensor could also see much better in the dark than night adapted humans in a good thermal environment.

Pixel density is also increasing so EVF are improving on that front as well.

/shrug

The statement that fully adapted that you could see things that no EVF could see is provably false.   NVG and FLIR systems shows that it's simply a matter of expense and size to beat even the best natural human night vision.  That's why we use them in the military.

Expense and size are solvable issues as technology improves.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow