Why EVF will never replace OVF for me

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,725
Like?
Re: To clarify a few points
In reply to TrapperJohn, 7 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

Not trying to evangelize, just to be sure there is a clear perspective...

A state of the art EVF, the one I know is on the EM1, does have a brightness adjustment. You can turn it down, the trick is to find the menu option to do it. Most rear LCD's that I've used didn't really have a dimmer option.

You can turn off everything but the image in the display - kill the shutter/aperture display if you like.

It does amplify available light, to where it can do a rough approxamation of a long exposure. Not perfect, but enough to give you a general idea of what a longer exposure might look like.

This isn't the fuzzy, laggy, toylike display found on P&S's and camcorders a few years ago. They were terrible, and I'd be horrified if that's what was put on modern cameras. It's good... very good.

I won't say the EM1's EVF is as crystal clear as the OVF on my old Nikon F, now that's a clear viewfinder, with a screen optimized for manual focus. But it's close enough that it doesn't impair one's ability to take in the composition in all its glory, or even MF. And it adds quite a few very handy features that the OVF can't do.

Having used both a very good OVF and a very good EVF, I am puzzled by the level of passion people put into the subject. Just can't see it as something to get fired up about.

Whatever one says, people won't believe you if they are superstitious. If I remember the times of my own resistance to EVF, it had to do with the fear of losing my sight, the natural one, and sink in some artificial pandemonium.

If the same considered that the OVF is not yet a picture, far from it, but only a frame on what you see, and NOT what the sensor sees, which begs composition and choices.

If only the Resistance Fighters  tried a recent EVF, and saw  as a tool making the work easier, WYSIWYG...This was really the problem at the 4/3 forum, lens adaptation could be solved as we know. Not refusing the EVF.

It is amazing how people will hate you for taking the jump. In some countries there must be a deep reactionary instinct, which is not only about photography. That explains why mirrorless developed in Asia, perhaps they trust the future more.

To have an EVF is not shooting blindly, put simply. It also avoids the additional work of RAW, and that's another taboo, but I gladly take more time in shooting than on a computer, and I don't fake a scene, because I have it in front of me in real time, and not in distant memory.

Let people fear to go blind after all, they might have other better motives for it after all

Am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow