Didn't think I would see a difference between Nex 6 and 7 in lower light....

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?
Re: Didn't think I would see a difference between Nex 6 and 7 in lower light....
In reply to cwood, 11 months ago

Here's what I found a while back from processing the DPR's ISO3200 test image from RAW in Lightroom. The NEX-7 did have more noise, but also more detail. Applying a little more noise reduction to the NEX-7 image brings it in line noise-wise with the NEX-5n, while still retaining more detail.

In measurements (for example DXOMark), the 16M pixels sensors have the edge by a fraction of a stop. I believe what is happening here is that clever noise reduction algorithms are more than compensating for the difference.

I own and use a NEX-7 and a NEX-F3, and my feeling is that in RAW, there's not much to choose between them at hight ISOs. Pixel for pixel the 24M pixel sensor is obviously noisier, but at the end of the day, at the image level after post processing, they're pretty similar.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow