Why EVF will never replace OVF for me

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,617Gear list
Like?
Re: Why EVF will never replace OVF for me
In reply to canonagain123, 11 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

Now how could an EVF help me, even if it didn't kill my nightvision? When it gets dark enough, I have to use my eyes to locate the subjects, precompose the shot, and select the brightest spot in the scene that I then try to locate through the darker OVF. The EVF has no chance of making out almost anything I see on OVF except for a direct light source (a red led), and both the OVF and EVF are miles darker than what I see with my eyes. If I did the math correctly, based on the camera settings, that's 0.015 lux of illumination, or 32 times darker than a scene illuminated by full moon.

Wrong, an EVF is a lot brighter so you can find things to aim at a LOT easier...even with my GX7 EVF.     I don't consider that to be better than a really good OVF (in terms of viewing though some of the other things are useful).

The A7 EVF though IS much better when it is really dark...as big as a decent size OVF and with the benefits of an EVF.

yes, there are things an OVF does better but not much for me.....and they WILL get better still.

I just think the point has already been reached with the A7 EVF.

Night vision should come back soon enough.

I am not a mirrorless crusader.....I do love both my mirrorless cameras but if Pentax was able to mount Canon FD L lenses, I would never have gotten a mirrorless probably.

I am not saying an EVF is better for you, only you can know what is.....what I am saying is don't knock something if you haven't tried it.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow