Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,614Gear list
Like?
Does SX50 have inconsistent AF?
6 months ago

I know that I haven't tried hard enough yet, but I have yet to get nice sharp images the likes of which seem almost commonplace by many of you posting your examples.  I want to see detail in feather and fur. So what am I not doing?  I recently took some pictures of cardinals in a backyard evergreen.  Maybe 30' away at the most.  I experimented with faster shutter speeds; as one of our dear contributors believed that the shutter speed was his key to success.  I maybe got one or 2 acceptable images (at full zoom), and the rest were seriously not acceptable when increased 100%(my test for sharpness).  I did not use a tripod, but did manage to steady myself by leaning against the wall, and even resting the camera on a semi-firm surface.  That "semi" might have been the problem, now that I think about it.

Anyway, do most of you who experience super sharp, full tele, images always use a tripod?

This lack of success in this main area of concern is exactly why I often find myself moving on to other gear in hope of finding the sharpness's Holy Grail. And then it happens all over again.  I desperately need some encouragement to 1) have greater success with sharpness, and 2) to discourage my looking to other gear for the answer.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow