Why EVF will never replace OVF for me

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Of course
In reply to Ontario Gone, 9 months ago

I use my peripheral vision always in darker places, I only use my foveal vision when it's possible. If you do it often enough you get used to looking around with your peripheral vision, which is a lot different from normal vision (you might turn your head to the opposite direction of where you're actually looking, for example.)

I use red lights when I want light and want to keep my night vision, and if I could have every LCD I own and every light red, I would. I'd rather have a red monochrome VF than a colored one, but for video, I'd like the option to change it to color and only use red in the dark. For video it would be somewhat useless anyway, unless the camera is sensitive to IR and I used IR lighting, because video just can't cope in much dark for the same reasons I noted detrimental to good low-light EVF above. I'm sure we'll get to a point where you can have 1 million ISO with very little noise, and then an EVF will be an attractive option, but that's not now.

I admit, the "never" was a little provocative in the OP, but your posts are alwaysprovocative. Can't hurt too much

From my own experience i can also testify that you're partly right. Firstly, in the test, my night vision would probablyhave returned quickly if I didn't turn on the lights right away, LCD is bright even at the dim brightness I've set it to, but it's not enough to permanently ruin your night vision adaptation in every case. It ruined it enough for me not to see anything through the OVF though, before turning on the lights I looked through the OVF one last time. I've actually spent a whole day inside using only my night vision, and when I went outside I was practically blind for 2 minutes, I couldn't see anything, it was too bright. When I finally adjusted, I noticed that it wasn't even midday bright, it was overcast. I can also testify that if the light isn't incredibly bright, it won't take 100% of your night vision, closer to 50-80%, and readaptation is a little quicker than the first time around. Bright enough light can still ruin your night vision completely, and you can actually end up in the "twilight zone" where everything is too dark and too bright at the same time (but it won't last long). That's my experience anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow