A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?
Re: A breakthrough in K-3 images in shade ......
In reply to Bill Robb, 7 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Bright Mode!!!! The killer of image quality rears its ugly head.

Also: if you're looking for a weakness of the K3, this may nonetheless still be where you'll find it. With less dynamic range, you're going to have a more difficult time preserving fine highlight detail like white feathers in mixed light without underexposing more than you would need to with a k5. Then again, the finer and purportedly better metering may take care of you better in this case than a k5, safely giving you consistently better results.

I'm sure YRMV.

Reality actually will vary. The K5II has .7 stops more DR than the K3, and both are well over the DR that one is likely to run into in any scene that isn't artificially set up to induce a DR failure.

Don't know where you are Bill, but here in Australia the DR challenge is a major one at times. Shooting in Australian sunshine can be a bummer. The difference here between bright sunshine and shade is generally greater than any digital camera will handle easily. And shooting water - as in breaking waves, particularly, or snow scenes in sunshine can really stretch it. I was back in Scotland a couple of years ago, then using the K20D, and I found the light to be so easy to shoot with after Aussie conditions.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow