Why EVF will never replace OVF for me

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,153Gear list
Like?
Two examples...
In reply to canonagain123, 11 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

The room was completely dark except for some red leds, blue leds and green leds, providing a total of (estimated) 0.007-0.015 lux of light. Starlight is 0.001-0.03906 lux.

Show me an EVF that can see anything in that light, and I'll be happy to recant my statements about the EVF being useless to me.

Actually, I can give you two examples, only known from my own experience: Sony A550, and Sony A580, using their 2nd live view mode off main sensor, and the LCD (not an EVF, but off the LCD it is live view).  These two DSLRs perform very differently than any other DSLR live view I've ever seen - and I've shot side-by-side with 20+ models of various Canon & Nikon DSLRs all trying live view during the same scene.  After 3-4 hours of nighttime adjustment, eyes fully adapted, and shooting in scenes too dark to discern anything through the OVFs...and also too dark to get anything useful from live view LCDs or EVFs...these two Sony cameras in their second live view mode were able to display clear images bright enough to read writing on signs 50 feet away, and clear enough to manually focus visually.  No OVF was able to show enough detail to focus by, and no other live view or EVF was able to show anything but noise and grain.  I have no idea the reason, or the science behind how this mode works, I just know that I've used this live view mode on my A580 in scenes with no more than starlight illumination, where my OVF shows nothing, and my NEX with EVF cannot show anything...my own adjusted eyes cannot even see as much detail as the A580's 2nd live view mode can...it's drastically better than naked eye vision, even after adjusting to the dark, and drastically better than I can discern from an OVF or other EVF.  Anyone who's ever seen it will know what I'm talking about...and maybe can explain just what that live view mode is doing so differently than the live view modes on Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and even better than the live view of Sony's own mirrorless cameras or SLTs - these two DSLRs were quite unique in this mode.

Not all EVFs are the same, not all live views are the same, not all OVFs are the same.  It's tough to compare them and draw finite conclusions based on your experiences with one live view on one camera.

Personally, I am a DSLR shooter who loves OVFs, but I can also take advantage of the unique live view mode on my DSLR as well as enjoy the EVF of my mirrorless camera...I'm a prototypical adaptable human being.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow