Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,548Gear list
Like?
Re: Why EVF will never replace OVF for me
In reply to headfirst, 10 months ago

headfirst wrote:

which camera did you use for this test?

I know that even in DSLRs from ~5 years ago the sensor can see things in low light that I can't. Modern sensors are noticeably better.

This only makes sense. A sensor covers much more area than that of a pupil, even if the eye's iris is opened all the way.

& at least on a Sony SLT if you switch "vf setting effect" (effectively exposure simulation) off the camera & EVF effectively becomes an image intensifier - sure the vf image can be grainy but I can see things in it at light levels where I can't unaided.

I think what the op is saying is once you use an EVF or LCD, your eyes lose the temporarily sensativity so you can't see where you're going when moving around. He is right of course, many times i am stumbling around in my basement in the dark with my camera. Just the other day, i was trying to catch the aliens coming through the coal chute, my son was on the floor suffering from a breathing condition and we had boarded up the doors.

In the end we figured out water was their weakness, and my nephew Merrill was a good baseball player so he batted some water glasses around and then everything was ok. My son wasn't harmed by the poison gasses bc he couldn't breath them in when his asthma prevented it. So yes, in the dark when hiding from aliens it is much better to not affect the temporarily adjustment of your retina (the rods not the cones) as that could allow you to see well enough to save the life of your family.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow